Dr. Bruce Ruben is a infectious disease specialist with expertise in infections and wound healing.
Dr. Ruben’s goal was to create a barrier-free outpatient center where patients could be treated with compassion and dignity but without the health risks and bureaucracies associated with hospital care.
Encompass HealthCare has been built to accommodate quadriplegic, paraplegic, and wheelchair/disabled patients. It features automated door entries, four foot tall countertops and coat hooks, roll-in shower, a lift system, off-loading exam tables and a gurney.
Undergraduate Education: B.S. Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Michigan. 1980
Graduate Education: M.D. Wayne State University School of Medicine. 1985
Post Graduate Education and Training
- Internal Medicine Internship and Residency, Sinai Hospital of Detroit, Detroit, Michigan. 1985-1988
- Infectious Disease, Clinical and Research, Department of Medicine, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI. 1988-1990.
- HIV infection, Detroit Receiving Hospital UHD, 1990
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors, 1999
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy; International ATMO, San Antonio, Texas. 2005
- Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, Mixed Gas Diving, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Seattle, Washington. 2007
Licensure and Professional Certification
- 1986: Diplomat, National Board of Medical Examiners
- 1986: Licensed Physician and Surgeon, State of Michigan, State of California
- 1989: Certified, American Board of Internal Medicine
- 1990: Certified, American Board of Internal Medicine Subspecialty Board of Infectious Disease
- 2000: Recertification- ABIM subspecialty Infectious Disease
- 2000: Professional Association of Diving Instructors
- 2004: Hyperbaric Medicine Team Course Training
- 2005: Problem Wound Manager Course Training
- 2007: Mixed Gas Diving Certification
- 2007: Certified, American Board of Preventative Medicine Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine
- 2011: Licensed Physician and Surgeon, State of Colorado
- 2011: Recertification- ABIM subspecialty Infectious Disease
- Huron Valley Sinai Hospital
- St. Mary Hospital
- Vibra hospital
ABSTRACTS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Ruben B, Hruszkewycz, V, Hypes C, Bostic G, Staskiewicz J, Band J.A. Cluster of Pseudofungemia Associated with Hospital Renovation Adjacent to the Microbiology Laboratory. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Nosocomial Infections, Atlanta, Georgia, August, 1990.
- Weidenbach MB, Ruben, B, Bien P, Zervos MJ, Comparative In Vitro Activity of AT-4140 Penicillin and Ciprofloxin Against Streptococcus pneumonia. Proceedings of the 30th Interscience conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Atlanta, Georgia, 1990.
- Ruben B, Wong P, Colville J, Band J. Person to person transmission of Brucella melitensis. Annual meeting of the Michigan Chapter of the American College of Physicians, Traverse City, Michigan, October 1990.
- Ruben B, Pollock M, Weidenbach MB, Mecoli-Kamp C, Zervos MJ, Lauter C. Pneumococcal Pneumonia and Bacteremia: Occurrence while on ciprofloxacin therapy and its clinical, microbiological characterizations at a large suburban community Hospital, Annual meeting of the Michigan Chapter of the American College of Physicians, Traverse City, Michigan, October 1990.
- MSIA—Michigan Self-Insured Association, May, 2008.
- MBIPC—Michigan Brain Injury Provider Council, June 2008.
- RINC-Rehabilitation Insurance Nurse Case Management, “Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: Physics, Physiology, and Clinical Indications”, June 20, 2008.
- CMSA—Case Management Society of America, September 2008.
- Eisenhower Rehabilitation Center, September 15, 2008.
- Special Tree Rehabilitation and Neurocare Center, September 10, 2008.
- Americare Health Services, January 29, 2009.
- RINC—Rehabilitation Insurance Nurse Case Management. “Advanced Wound Care and Nutrition”. June 19, 2009.
- St. Mary’s Hospital, “Wound Healing Pathways: A Simple Recipe for a Complex Problem.” August 6, 2009.
- Alaris. Nurse Case Management. “Wound Healing Pathways: A Simple Recipe for a Complex Problem”. November 13, 2009.
- AAA. Claims Division. Wound Healing Pathways: A Simple Recipe for a Complex Problem. October 28, 2009.
- Concentra: Crush Injuries. Adjunctive Hyperbaric Oxygen in the first 72 hours. Occupational Physicians. December 1, 2009.
- Titan Auto. Claims Division. “Wound Healing Pathways: A Simple Recipe for a Complex Problem. January 11, 2010.
- Sedgwick. Nurse Case Management. “Crush Injuries. The First 72 Hours.” March 9, 2009.
TEACHING APPOINTMENTS AND GUEST LECTURER
2012: Scheduled: The University of Michigan Transplant Division, Ann Arbor, MI Wound Medicine
2012: Scheduled: Paralyzed Veterans of America guest speaker, Novi, MI Wound Medicine
2011: Lakeland Long Term Care Facility, Farmington Hills, MI Guest Lecturer Wound Medicine
2011: St. Mary Mercy Hospital Grand Rounds, Wound Medicine
2011: Huron Valley Hospital Grand Rounds, Wound Medicine
2011: Vibra Hospital, Wound Medicine
2005: Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI Outpatient Intravenous Antibiotics for the Emergency Room Patient
2005: St. Mary Mercy Hospital, Livonia, MI Outpatient Intravenous Antibiotics for the Emergency Room Patient.
2005: Brown Rehabilitation Southfield, MI Wound Care Management.
1995: Macomb Hospital, Warren, MI. Grand Rounds, Outpatient IV Antibiotics—Appropriate Clinical Indications.
Guest Lecturer: Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI Outpatient Intravenous Antibiotics for the Emergency Room Patient (2005)
St. Mary Mercy Hospital, Livonia, MI Outpatient Intravenous Antibiotics for the Emergency Room Patient (2005)
Brown Rehabilitation, Southfield, MI Wound Care Case Management (2005)
Michigan Osteopathic Association, Postgraduate Convention and Scientific Seminar, Dearborn, Michigan, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: Physics, Physiologic Effects and Clinical Indications (2005)
MEMBERSHIPS AND COMMITTEES
1991 Member, Infection Control Committee, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI
2011 Maimonides Committee, Jewish Federation of Detroit.
1. Infectious Disease Society
2. Michigan State Medical Society
3. Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society
4. Oakland County Medical Society
Society Memberships: AMA, MSMS
If you like this page, please share it!